7.03.2010

Sat. 07/03/2010 - Crafts for Good Cause

As a normal routine for any Saturday, I was around 25th Street, Garage Flea Market. And as any other day on the street, I met a vendor who's from Egypt, and has been selling there for about 2 months. I heard from him that Garage is quite expensive compared to other flea markets, and also how crazily Chinese people were buying antiques dropping even premium to get an item. (Which I have been hearing from many other antique dealers as well).

Anyway, since the prices there were not great, I was going to Hell's Kitchen. On the way, I passed by a street fair, a usual event in NYC summer time. There, I saw this guy -he said he's actually a professor in City University- selling nice crafts from Africa. There were baskets, coasters and small objects all hand-woven in Africa. They are colorful and very well-made. And they can be used for many purposes. All the profits go to help African countries' economy.

[Crafts from Africa]

Btw, people were buying all kinds of things from the flea market...and this one guy bought probably about 30 or more frames at once. He said he's a print maker, so he would use these frames for the photographs he took and re-sell them.

At first, I didn't know these are the one he picked....so I was selecting mine from his, the ones with black frame. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment