7.07.2010

Wed. 07/07/2010 - Metropolitan #2

The weather didn't show any sign to cool down today as well. The morning shows were saying it's better to stay inside today. So, I changed my original plan to go to TriBeCa, but headed to Metropolitan where I can stay cool and spend the whole day.

Since it was second time, I focused on each section more thoroughly, and I found there were so many things I missed last time.  I was there about 6 hours, but I could only cover about 3 sections...American Woman: The Special Exhibition, Egyptian, and South America/African/South Asia Section.


Once I got home, I was looking through my pictures, and it seemed like I liked the figurines, and jewelries today.

  Figurines, Dolls and Small Objects from Egypt and South America 

[Models of Meketre, ca. 1970's]
These were most interesting things I saw today. These ancient Egyptian models were found by a Metropolitan Museum curator in 1920. They were in one of hidden chambers of the tomb of King Meketre,  in excellent condition. The linen clothes the figures are wearing are all original. They are amazingly realistic, and figurative with great details. Plus, the stories of each assemblage is so interesting.

They are enjoying a picnic, baking loaves, cooking soups and brewing dry beer. The eyes of the man who are looking into the stove are unbelievably realistic.

This one, they are on hunting trip.

More boating assemblages..

A slaughter house. The hanging things on the back don't look like skins...but they look like big beef jerky hahaha.

They are brewing beer, making dough and baking breads...

Here, women are working on grains and men are doing book keeping.

A figure wrapped in linen.

A picture showing the the scene when they were first found.

[Ancient Egyptian Linen]
These lines are at least 3000 years old.

[Isis-Aphrodite, 2nd Century]

[Jars and Bottles from Peru, 2-7th Century]
Even though these were from Peru, they have great similarity with Japanese figurines, which I thought very interesting.

More of cute Peru figurines.

[Smiling Figure, Mexico, 7-8th Century]
Hahaha, I loved it.

[Eskimo Dolls, 19th Century]
How fashionable the Eskimo mom is!

The first one is ancient Egyptian shoes for children, and the second is a pair of foot jars from Peru. (2nd-1st BC)

  Egyptian and Byzantine Jewelries and Accessories 
They are perfectly wearable these days as well as did they the old times. Especially, I always liked the Byzantine jewelries.

[From Egypt]

[Byzantine Jewelries]


Today, the weather was great to enjoy the Roof Garden.

[Doug+Mike Starn on the Roof: Big Bambu]

The view from the Roof Garden is famous. I tried the movie again... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment